Two Go Mad In The Garage

How two numpties try to build a Westfield kit car.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

SVA in the morning

We are unlikely to pass our Single Vehicle Approval test, but we at least have a chance.

And I (Tim) would like to say as the car is 'finished' and on the trailer to say how proud I am of my daughter (Chrissy) for all those hours in the garage for persevering and smiling (mostly) and putting up with my grumping (occasionally). Whatever happens in the test, we have built a car which can be driven and looks nice, and there wasn't a single time when Chrissy 'couldn't be bothered', and I'll say it again I'm proud of her.

A very busy week, so no time for blogging. We had an initial list of 37 jobs from Westfield to do from their 'pre-SVA'. We added a few to that as we went along.

Don't have time for all the details as have to be up at 5:30 to drive it to the SVA test centre in Southampton for 8am.

Anyway - struggled to get the brakes right - and picked up some hydraulic fluid burns on my hands from long hours of various activities.

In the next picture you can see 'er indoors sitting in the car being our brake pedal pusher for one of several 'beeding'sessions.

Things had been going OK, until Sunday lunchtime-ish when things started to go a bit adrift - no dip beam on the headlamps - took an hour and a half to debug. An oil leak, and running out of petrol caused several other headaches.

But anyway it's complete and on the trailer ready to go. The nil time to run the car or drive it anywhere means I think our chances are slim - especially with the brakes as they are - which is much better than they were but possibly not test passing quality. But we'll give it a go, learn some stuff and if we fail we'll put it in again in a few weeks.

Message to Bob, we're thinking of you - don't worry about the small stuff - let us help wherever we can.



3 Comments:

At 12:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope it all goes well. And well done Chrissy - I'm sure you've carried your Dad through the build more than he's carried you!

Rory's Dad

 
At 6:02 am, Blogger Ewan McIntosh said...

I'm seriously impressed - from seeing where you've been and where you've come to with this I am bowled over. I hope you enjoy driving this thing (can you yet, Chrissy?).

Who knows? Maybe when I come to the offices the next time this'll be parked at the front door ;-)

 
At 4:07 pm, Blogger Individual13 said...

you went to southampton and didnt come to see me. I'm sulking. But the car does look good. still sulking about that tho. xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Site Counter